Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Live Inspired

As humans, I feel we all need inspiration during hard times. My life has felt like a hard time for the last seven months, so I have searched for inspiring people, books, speeches, and even a trip to church.

Here are two different things that have helped me in the long run and most recently.

Amy Purdy.
If you have not heard of Amy Purdy, please go Google her right this minute. At the age of nineteen she contracted meningitis and lost her feet, plus her kidney function. I did not even know about my own health struggle when I discovered her.  first learned of her when she was on Dancing with the Stars in 2014. She blew me away with her dancing skills...including dancing without legs before the knee. Are you kidding? Amy danced with different styles of prosthetic, including running blades. She came in second place with Derek Hough and all of that just weeks after competing in the Paralympic Games in Sochi, Russia. Also to note, her and her husband's nonprofit were a huge part of getting snowboarding into the games and this was the first year they were included!

To learn more about Amy Purdy, you can watch her Ted Talk for free here or purchase her book here.

Church.
I am not a religious person. I have gone to church services (not including weddings) maybe two times. I have always found it interesting and found good lessons in some stories from the bible. I do not and will not believe there is an almighty being watching over everyone. But two weeks ago, my friend (JS) invited me to her church's Wednesday night series "Unstuck." I have been trying to say yes to more opportunities and events, ya know, broaden my horizons?

So, I went with my friend and her daughter. (PS I love these people.) It was the second night in a trilogy and tonight's theme was "Inspired and Included." Perfect for me! There were two pastors that spoke. I guess it was a low-key sermon with funny videos included. Then he gave every talking points to discuss with your table. Each table had 8-10 people, ours was all women.

Everything he spoke about was related to worship, but I listened and gave me own spin to it. You can replace words like worship and faith to fit life. What the pastor spoke of was a new way of looking at your own life, your hobbies, your job, and appreciating the people around you.

At the end of the group discussion, my friend shared with the group what I had been going through lately. She spoke with love. The group then prayed for me and even though I do not believe in prayer, it really touched me in a profound way. I cried in public, which I do not like doing. I felt inspired and included, so good job with the title.

Some food for thought from the discussion. Credit to New Covenant Church in Fresno, CA. I took out God and faith, made it my own...

1. How have relationships with others helped you grow?

2. People often seek out relationships when they are going difficult times. What is the benefit of having relationships with others before you go through the difficulty?

3. Why do you think some people are resistant to joining a Life Group? What can you do to help them overcome their resistance?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions

All I can think about are the unanswered questions.  Why didn't he speak up? Why didn't he try to make things better? What did I do ...