Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Nonprofit Extroidinare

Hello All!

Last month, I happened upon a job opening in Fresno with Best Buddies. I had heard of this organization while working in Arizona. What I did not know, at that time, was that it in a national and international company. So, I was very excited to see an opening in my own city. I applied on a Saturday or Sunday and was emailed for a follow up on Monday. The interview was great and the interviewer actually knew what AmeriCorps was all about. After a little while, I got the job! Today is only my second day but I am so excited to be working for such a great organization.

Six years ago this fall, I applied for a handful (or more) positions with AmeriCorps VISTA. I was eventually selected for a position in Washington State north of Seattle. I worked as the School Buddies Coordinator. This evolved into more duties on campus like volunteering in the classroom and helping coordinate other volunteers within the school. I loved this position and working with AmeriCorps was rewarding.

I continued to do two more terms of AmeriCorps VISTA in two different states; California and Arizona. All three of my years were very different from each other, but good learning experiences in the long run. When I could not find a nonprofit position after my second year, I thought negatively about AmeriCorps not providing enough help with jobs after your term. This was my fault, not their's.

When I finished my third term, I had a great handful of interviews in Phoenix. People started to compliment my accomplishments and experience. But, due to personal (and unforeseen reasons) I would not stay in Phoenix. I left Arizona in October but decided to stay unemployed for health reasons. My health is still an issue, but you cannot live your life on hold waiting to get sick.

There is one interesting connection with my experience with AmeriCorps and my new position with Best Buddies: The Kennedy's. John F. Kennedy originated the idea of VISTA (Volunteers in Service to America) program before his death. The program took start in 1965, two years after his assassination. Now, Best Buddies is my newest connection to the legendary family. The organization was started by Anthony K. Shriver, the nephew of John F. Kennedy and son of Eunice Kennedy, who helped start the Special Olympics.

Another connection to the Kennedy Family. My grandfather, Roger Wickland, met Robert F. Kennedy at some point before his assassination. We still have the photograph to prove it! I find the Kennedy's fascinating and I hope Joe Kennedy III runs for president someday!

Please click HERE to learn more about Best Buddies!
Please click HERE to learn more about AmeriCorps and their variety of programs!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions

All I can think about are the unanswered questions.  Why didn't he speak up? Why didn't he try to make things better? What did I do ...